Friday, January 13, 2012

SUP baby?!

This year I am about adventures and doing something different in order to open up the dating scene for 2012.
So, the other day I went Stand Up Paddleboarding or SUP as it’s known in the biz. The nearest SUP centre to me is the one in Rose Bay run by Oz SUP and the delightful David Bell or Belly as he is commonly referred to.

For those not in the know stand up paddleboarding is an all over body exercise favoured by such beauties as Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson and other such beachy babes we all wish we could be.

On this particular day there was a 3hr tour of the harbor which I tagged onto the end of. It’s best to choose a day with no wind so that the water is relatively flat and easy to paddle through. If you can get a picture perfect Sydney day like I did then it’s a total bonus because it is truly an amazing experience.

Belly takes you through the equipment and how to use the board at the start. It’s actually a lot easier than you think and we spent about 30 minutes getting used to the board, the paddle and the different techniques, you know the important ones like moving forward, turning and stopping!

After this Belly took us around the harbor towards point piper and beyond. We had to navigate the arrival of a ferry at Rose bay terminal which along with the waves generated by the ferry came a bit of a wind resulting in me being blown out towards the middle of the harbor. I’m not the strongest of people so I was in a slight panic at this point wondering if I would ever make it back. Belly wasn’t fazed though and he was right not to be. Once I put my back into it I was away again.

Paddle boarding is not hard per se but it does use muscles you may not have used for a while. It’s particularly good for core stability and since the tour was a solid 2.5 hours of actual paddling I can assure you I am feeling it today. But it’s totally worth it. There were a total of 5 people in our group. Most of whom had received the tour as a birthday gift.  The 3 hour morning tours cost $70 and run on Tuesday’s, Thursdays, Saturday and Sunday's.  This covers the initial lesson, the tour by bay expert Belly and coffee/breakfast half way through. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was only 1 single man on the tour but I can only assume as it was a weekday that the weekend tours might be more full of prospective fellas! As it’s becoming more and more popular with the young folk and as it’s still tourist season it’s definitely an avenue to be explored.

In any case I have heard the oh so handsome Burgess brothers are frequenters to this particular paddle boarding establishment so you may bump into them if you go down! There’s enough of them to chose from after all! That's Sam, George and Luke above.

                                         Woah! You can't argue with that now can you! 

And not to miss the fella’s who read this out I hear Jesinta Campbell and Charlotte Dawson have been known to pop down so you never know who you might meet of an early morning!

Board hire is $25 per hour and group lessons start as low as $30. Grab some friends and get down there! Contact Belly on 0423 733 061 or go to www.ozsup.com.au for more details.

Just as a side note people generally don’t fall in as it’s quite easy to master. Unless of course you are me and lose concentration looking at all the fab houses wondering whose they are. Then you might fall in spectacularly in front of the ferry terminal and a lot of people like I may or may not have done…..yeah I’m a catch!


No comments:

Post a Comment